Statutory Notification & Grants

If you are an existing childminder or new childminder and wish to become a Tusla registered childminder you have to apply through Tusla Registration Office.

If you require assistance with this process please feel free to contact Leitrim County Childcare Committee on 071 96 40870.

Find out more & start your application:

Childminder Development Grant

What is a Childminder Development Grant (CMDG)?

Annually the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth (DCEDIY) announces the availability of the Childminder Development Grant. The Childminder Development Grant is a small grant designed to assist existing and potential childminders to enhance the safety and quality of their childminding service.

All applicants must be committed to maintaining/improving the quality of their childminding service.

What funding is available under the Childminder Development Grant?

A grant of up to €1000 is available to an eligible childminder. All childminders can apply for the full Childminding Development Grant every year. However, if the CMDG national budget is oversubscribed, an applicant may receive a lesser amount than applied for. Successful applicants are paid 75% of the grant in advance. Following submission and approval of the CMDG Expenditure Report and receipts for the full amount granted, the remaining 25% is paid to the childminders. 

Who is eligible to apply for funding?

A Childminder who is:

Must provide evidence of appropriate insurance (must show valid insurance period)

Must provide evidence of Tusla Children First E-Learning programme (must be dated in last 3 years)

Must provide current Tax Clearance Certificate in applicant's name.

What can the grant be used for?

  • The CMDG can be used to purchase items that enhance safety and quality in the childminding service. The final decision on eligible expenditure will be at the discretion of Sligo County Childcare Committee. The following list (which is not exhaustive) gives examples of the different types of costs that are eligible. Please note that minor adaptations are ineligible expenditure for this grant. Ineligible expenditure also applies to a part payment for an item. Any item purchased must not cost more than the total awarded.


Eligible Equipment:

  • Outdoor Play Equipment: – sand box, water tray, swing set, climbing frame, slide, outdoor play equipment etc.
  • Toys and Books: – Developmentally and culturally appropriate toys and books e.g. ride on toys, building blocks, books, dress-up, teddies/dolls/figurines, music, imaginative play items, jigsaws, board games, arts & craft materials and supplies etc.
  • Childcare and Safety Equipment: – Pram, buggy, car seat, cot, high chair, child size table and chairs, stairgate, fire blanket, fire extinguisher, smoke alarm, socket covers, cupboard locks, first aid kit, blind cord safety clips etc.
  • Supporting Inclusion: – Sensory toys and equipment e.g. black out tent, theraputty, chewlery, weighted blanket, trikes and ride on toys, fidget toys, move and sit cushions, sensory garden etc.
  • STEM (Science/Technology/Engineering/Arts/Mathematics):- science: light box, microscope, telescope etc. Technology: coding kits, robot kit, robotic arms, snap electric circuits, cameras, hydraulics. Engineering: Toolbox, stem construction kits, Lego, magnets etc. Arts: music & literature, musical instruments, easels, painting tools and accessories, playdough and accessories, arts and crafts supplies, speakers, lights etc. Mathematics: Magnet tiles, IQ puzzle games, mathematic games, Rubik cubes, measuring equipment etc.

What is not acceptable eligible equipment?

Minor adaptions or capital work, Trampoline, bouncing castles, swimming pool, subscriptions, memberships and registrations, walkers, travel cot, games consoles, second hand items, IT equipment, batteries, insurances/business expenses, training and cpd, any item that costs more than the total grant awarded.

For more information contact:

Aoife O’Neill, Childminding Development Officer: